The founding of BIONT company is linked to the Cyclotron Centre of the Slovak Republic (CCSR), a project carried out by the Slovak Office of Standards, Metrology and Testing (SOSMT). The project’s aim was to establish a multi-purpose scientific research and operations centre that would provide:

    • basic and applied research in radiochemistry, physics, biology, and medicine
    • production of radionuclides and radiopharmaceuticals
    • other application of accelerator technologies in medicine and materials research


    The whole project was approved, controlled and revised by the Government Resolutions (GR) of the Slovak Republic Nr. 434/1996 (project launch), Nr. 881/1998, Nr. 659/1999, Nr. 660/1999, Nr. 865/2000, Nr. 1003/2004 (establishment of a joint stock company), Nr. 1195/2004, Nr. 970/2007, Nr. 1105/20074, Nr. 242/2008, Nr. 322/2008 (rearrangement of the shareholders’ structure), Nr. 776/2009, Nr. 215/2011, Nr. 47/2012, Nr. 564/2012, Nr. 14/2014. Nr. 285/2015.


    Project development

    1996 – GR Nr. 434/1996
    Approval of the strategic initiative to build the Cyclotron Centre, to be implemented by SOSMT.

    1996 – 2001
    Feasibility study, Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), general agreement (drafted and closed) on the CCSR to be delivered as a turnkey project from the Russian Federation.

    2001 – GR Nr. 407/2001
    The project is split into several buildings:

    • PET Centre with a small cyclotron for the production of PET radiopharmaceuticals (Pavilion I)
    • Building with a 72 MeV cyclotron for medical, scientific and production purposes (Pavilion J)
    • Administrative building and workshop (Pavilions D and E)
    • Purpose-built accommodation facility (Building C – name of location: Kramare)

    2001 – 2003

    Preparatory phase for the construction of the PET Centre (Validation Master Plan, detailed planning, and a project qualification for the reconstruction of Pavilion I).

    27 May 2003
    Foundation stone laying ceremony and the commencement of the construction works.

    21 September 2004
    PET Centre opening.

    27 October 2004
    Adoption of the GR Nr. 1003/2004 to establish a joint-stock company comprised of the finished parts of the CCSR project.

    21 January 2005
    Founding of the joint stock company BIONT, a.s. and its entry into the Business Register of the Slovak Republic.
    The allocation of shares was suggested as follows: 36% Ministry of Economy, 22% Ministry of Health, 15% SOSMT, 15% Ministry of Education, 12% Ministry of Defence; eventually implemented as follows: 95% SOSMT, the rest 5% in total.

    2008 – GR Nr. 322/2008
    Change in share management distribution: 95% Ministry of Education, 5% SOSMT.


    Founding of the company

    2005 – First year of the company’s existence.

    January – Founding of the company – change from Cyclotron Centre of the Slovak Republic by SOSMT to a joint stock company BIONT, a.s.

    June – Complex testing of the equipment.

    July – Permission to use the building.

    August – Permission to work and produce sources of ionizing radiation – Permission to provide healthcare services.

    19 September – The first patient for the SPECT/CT imaging.

    25 October – The first patient for the PET/CT scanning.

    December – Permission to produce medical drugs.

    14 December – The first production of FDG.


    Nasledujúce roky

    1 March 2006
    Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) Certificate.

    2006 – 2008
    Licensed production of FDG by the Nuclear Physics Institute of the Czech Academy of Sciences.

    Pilot syntheses of 18F-DOPA and 11C-Raclopride

    Registration of biontFDG sol inj in Slovakia
    Pilot synthesis of 11C-Methionine

    Pilot production of 64Cu

    Registration of Fludeoxyglucose F 18 BIONT in Austria, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Poland, and Romania
    License sale to a Turkish company Eczacıbaşı-Monrol for Bulgaria, Poland, and Romania
    Installation of the second PET/CT tomograph
    Start of a licensed production of Fludeoxyglucose F 18 in Romania

    Regular production of 11C-Methionine

    Regular production of 11C – Choline
    Pilot syntheses of 18F-Choline and 18F-FET
    Start of a licensed production of Fludeoxyglucose F 18 in Poland

    Regular production of 18F-FET
    Start of a licensed production of Fludeoxyglucose F 18 in Bulgaria